We offer two online consultation types, Live Chat (real-time, face-to-face) and Drop Off (asynchronous). Like our in-person sessions, both forms of online consultations focus on collaboration between participants. Despite the different mode of communication, the expectations and policies of our more traditional sessions apply to online sessions equally.
Online live chat sessions are ideal if you cannot be physically present for an appointment (for instance, if you are out of town, or live far from campus). Sessions are conducted in real-time through WCOnline. You have the choice to use video chat, voice chat, or live chat (typing, without video or voice). The chat window has a shared screen. You can upload a document to the live chat, and you and your consultant will be able to view the document together on the shared screen. This way, you will be able to see any annotations your consultant makes, and vice versa.
For more information, please visit the page on Live-Chat Sessions
Drop-off sessions are our only sessions that do not take place in real time. You willl upload your document to WCOnline before the appointment start time. See here for instructions on uploading a file. Your consultant will make comments in the document itself (usually line comments in the margins) and will upload the document with their comments to WCOnline within 24 hours (although it may take longer if it is a university holiday). You will receive an email from WCOnline that your comments are ready to be viewed. See here for instructions on viewing your consultant's comments.
For more information, please visit the page on Drop-Off Sessions
To prepare for either kind of online consulting service:
- Schedule your session online via WCOnline.
- Be sure to upload the document you want to discuss, along with specific requests for support, the draft number and when the project is due. Using track changes to make notations that request support will make it easier for your consultant to offer feedback on your draft.
- After scheduling your appointment, you will receive an email confirming your appointment date and time. NOTE: Follow the directions on the email to access the appointment. For Live Chat sessions, you will need to show-up virtually at the time and date of your scheduled appointment. For Drop-Off sessions, you will receive a response from your consultant on the submitted document.
- Documents must be 11 - 12 point font, double spaced, one-inch margins (unless the document's formatting requirements dictate otherwise, such as a PowerPoint presentation).
- Please make sure to note specific targeted feedback requests in the appointment box when setting-up either kind Online appointment. Making in-text notations is also useful for your consultant.
- Please upload rubrics, assignment prompts, or other useful information for writing projects so that consultants can give pertinent comments and support.
- Note that consultants can typically only review between 1 - 10 pages. Online sessions are still 45-minutes long, just like in-person sessions, but reading time and commenting time are included in online sessions, so plan accordingly when requesting feedback.
Live-Chat Support Pages:
Drop-Off Support Pages: