The Writing Center at the CSTW offers free help with writing at any stage of the writing process for any member of the university community. During our sessions, consultants can work with you on anything from research papers to lab reports, from dissertations to résumés, from proposals to application materials. Please check out our "Services" page (to the right) for the types of consultations we provide. We also maintain a resources page with writing handouts and links to online resources.
When you have signed in, make sure to select the correct location and consulting type (in-person, synchronous, asynchronous).
- Clients may schedule ONE appointment at our Smith Lab each week. Clients may have three walk-in tutorials per week at our satellite center on the first floor of Thompson Library.
- Clients registered with the Office of Disability Services may have two appointments per week.
- Clients with more than their allowed number of appointments per week will have the overflow appointments canceled.
- To cancel an appointment, delete your appointment via WCOnline at least one day in advance of your appointment.
- Clients canceling an appointment less than a day before the appointment will be counted as a no-show (see below).
- Clients canceling more than a day before their appointment may, if we have openings, reschedule an appointment for later in the week.
- Clients who miss an appointment without deleting their appointment via WCOnline are considered no-shows and may not hold another appointment that week.
- If a client accumulates three no-shows, the client will not be allowed to schedule another appointment for the remainder of the semester and any other appointments will be canceled.
- A consultant will hold an appointment for 10 - 15 minutes.
- After 10 - 15 minutes, the consultant will count the session as a no-show or give the appointment to a waiting client.
- The Writing Center does not proofread or edit writing for clients.
- The Writing Center has no connections to professional proofreaders or editors and will not make recommendations for outside services.
- Clients cannot drop off or email papers to us and get them back corrected.
- Clients can only bring their own work in for consultations--group projects require more than one member of the group present at the session.
- During sessions, consultants will discuss surface-level errors if requested, with an emphasis on helping the client identify these errors her/himself .